"The history of Camper and Nicholsons is the history of yachting"
Camper & Nicholsons has designed and built of some of the world's most acclaimed yachts for over 230 years. During this time the company has pushed the boundaries of naval architecture and design. Camper & Nicholsons has raised the benchmark of technology, build quality and led the way in safety standards of luxury yachting.
It all began in 1782 when Frances Calense Amos arrived from London and started a shipyard, leasing land in Gosport, Hampshire across the harbour from the Royal Naval Dockyard at Portsmouth. Since then Campers has been synonymous with yacht building, yacht racing and yachting in general.
In 1863 the company of Camper and Nicholson was formed and financed by both William Camper and the Lapthorn family, who operated a sail loft. The arrival of Ben's three sons in the firm occasioned a final name change to Camper and Nicholsons.
Camper and Nicholsons built four of the J-class yachts entered into the America's Cup. All designed by Charles Nicholson, the first was Shamrock V for 1930 race, funded by retailer Sir Thomas Lipton. In 1962 Sir Francis Chichester commissioned C&N to build the fourth boat in his series, Gipsy Moth IV. C&N also has an history of building Royal Yachts for the European Monarchy.
Although no longer designing and building yachts Camper & Nicholsons International continues in the yacht services industry. The company remains a global leader in all luxury yachting activities, from sales brokerage to new construction, charter management, yacht management and crew placement.